Operation of a fish finder on a rental boat 【GARMIN Striker4】 The world is expanding



Fishing is one of my hobbies, and I've been doing it for the past 3-4 years, renting a boat at a local boat shop about once a month and going out to sea.


It's a small boat with 2 horsepower, so although it has a limit to its range, it can go quite far.

Until last year, I was fishing almost haphazardly, memorizing the places where I happened to catch fish and trying to catch them again next time.

This year, I finally decided to install a fish finder because I couldn't stand the feeling of emptiness that I felt when I was out in the dark without catching anything.

The reason why I decided on this model is because it can be operated with a mobile battery (although it requires a little work).

Normally, this kind of fish finder is powered by the battery in the boat, but we don't have such a battery in our 2-horsepower rental boat, and we were hesitant to introduce a fish finder that can run without a battery because it is not very reliable.

At that time, I found an article about using a mobile battery to operate a fish finder, and I thought it would be possible.

About the product



Body size: H151mm x W92mm x D43mm (excluding the mount)

Display: 3.5" color LCD

Number of dots: 480 x 320 (HVGA)

Waterproof rating: IPX7

Accessories
English Manual
Vail mount rotary stand
Power and data cable
Transducer for CHIRP77/220khz
Transom Fixing Bracket
Trolling motor fixing bracket

Output: 200W

Vibroscope: HD-ID CHIRP 195-205kHz/72-82kHz
    77kHz 45
    15° at 200kHz

With water temperature sensor

GPS function: SBAS system, white map (only points are displayed)


How to Modify

(The following is an example of modification in Japan, not sure if it is applicable in other countries. We do not take any responsibility for any modification based on this article)




All you need is a DC power connector, a 12V USB boost cable, terminals for connection, crimping pliers, and a vinylether.

The connector and cable can be bought for about 500 yen.

It looks like this. Now you can send power from the mobile battery to the fish finder itself.

For more details, please refer to the website that explains it.

I'm not a professional electrician, and I can't guarantee it, so I'll just say that "there is such a way".

Another problem is the operation of the sonar.

Normally, the sonar would be fixed to the hull or engine, but this is not possible on a rental boat.

I think this was also mentioned in the same article as the mobile battery operation, but I fixed it to a plastic bottle.

I was able to pass an insulated lock through the hollow of the plastic bottle to fix the sonar.

I could have used a 500ml or 1L plastic bottle, but I happened to have one at home, so I used a 2L bottle.

After that, I tied a separate rope to the sonar cable because I was afraid of breaking the cable when raising and lowering it.

So far I've been able to use it without any problems.


There are some minor inconveniences such as having to pull up the sonar when moving the fishing site, and the display cannot be fixed so it is difficult to see.

Merits and demerits


Advantages


 -Underwater conditions (depth, seafloor, fish presence, water temperature, etc.)

 -GPS allows you to keep track of points.

 -Reasonable price for a fish finder.

Disadvantages


 -Sick because of the display

 -Needs to be modified for mobile battery operation

Impressions


I'm using a 10,000mAh mobile battery and I can keep it connected for 5 hours. (I think I can go a little longer)

It can tell you what the ocean floor looks like, whether there are schools of fish, the water temperature, and the depth, so you can get a better feel for how to fish, and it has GPS so it can remember exactly where you fished.

You don't have to run around in the dark.

I feel like I've raised my level of boat fishing to a whole new level (I'm not saying that this will lead to better fishing results).

The accumulation of this kind of data is sure to lead to a successful catch, and not only from the surface of the sea up, but also from the surface of the sea down to add more strategic information, so the fun of fishing has increased.

Conclusion


If you are worried about the operation of the fish finder in a rental boat or kayak, you will not regret introducing it if you have time to worry about it.

It's not a cheap purchase, but I think it's worth it, or even more fun.

How about it before you buy more rods and reels?


Comments